About the Course: The radiance of pure colour – Anne will teach you how to control that colour. This is a three day course that will introduce you to the methods of painting with soft pastels – from choosing your subject, composing the painting and finishing the work.
Composition, value, colours, types of paper, application of pastels will be covered, with explanations and demos.
For this method we use sanded pastel paper which is good for the layering with hard then soft pastels to give a vibrant painting.
Expect to make 1 8 x 10” painting each session (3). If weather permits, we will paint outside (plein air). At the end of the course there will be a group discussion and critique of the work. SSANC will provide a basic set of pastels and sanded pastel paper.
Materials Required by Students:
– Masking tape, 1″ works best
– Small sketch pad and pencil
– Glassine or wax paper to cover finished work
– 2 pieces cardboard or masonite to form a “case” for finished work
– Apron or towel or both, small rag
– Handiwipes for wiping hands outside
– 2 small jars for alcohol
– Plastic tray/box for pastels in use. I have extra
– Digital camera or phone (optional) if we work outside
– Photo images of landscape/seascapes to work from if inside
About the Instructor: Anne Johnston is a pastel and oil painter, painting landscapes and seascapes of New Brunswick and Maine. “It is the natural world that continues to amaze and inspire me, sending me into the fields and down coastal roads with my pack of oil pants and pastels. “She attended the School of Art and Design, Montreal, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, Halifax as well s other workshops in painting and fine crafts. Anne lives on the family farm near St. Stephen NB, in the house built by her three x great grandparents in 1800, enjoying her fields, forest, brook and all the animals with which she shares the land.