The radiance of pure colour – Anne will teach you how to control that colour. This is a three day course that will introduce you to the methods of painting with soft pastels – from choosing your subject, composing the painting and finishing the work.
For this method we use sanded pastel paper which is good for the layering we will do with hard then soft pastels to give a vibrant painting.
Expect to make 1 8 x 10” painting each session (3). If weather permits, we will paint outside (plein air). At the end of the course there will be a group discussion and critique of the work.
- Materials, types of pastels and paper and their uses
- Preparation of paper, under painting
- Colour selection, and application of pastels
- Demos and critiques
- We will paint outside if weather permits. Time, tide and light, will also be addressed. (Warm weather courses only)
- We expect to do one painting each session.
- Demo of matting and framing pastel paintings at end of course.
Anne Johnston is a pastel and oil painter, painting landscapes and seascapes of New Brunswick and Maine. “It is the natural world that continues to amaze and inspire me, sending me into the fields and down coastal roads with my pack of oil pants and pastels. “
She attended the School of Art and Design, Montreal, Nova Scotia College of Art nd Design, Halifax as well s other workshops in painting and fine crafts.
Anne lives on the family farm near St. Stephen NB, in the house built by her three x great grandparents in 1800, enjoying her fields, forest, brook and all the animals with which she shares the land.