Sunbury Shores Arts and Nature Centre is a not-for-profit charitable organization governed by a Board of Directors, located in historic Saint Andrews-by-the-Sea, NB. For nearly 60 years, thousands of artists of all ages and skill levels have created and exhibited art in our unique and inspiring space. Many of our instructors, exhibiting artists, and students are internationally recognized as award-winning creators and thought leaders who have had significant impacts on both the cultural sector and the economy. As an enduring and vibrant cultural leader, Sunbury Shores’ mission is “Fostering art and nature relationships in an inclusive environment.”
We are currently seeking an Artistic Director (AD) who will provide strategic leadership for the curation and delivery of the Centre’s programs, exhibitions, and overall artistic direction. The AD directly reports to the Executive Director (ED) and on occasion to the Board. The AD will bring new ideas and inspiration to the Centre by seeking out emerging artists, media and programming that will intrigue and inspire students of all ages, backgrounds, and skill levels. This is a part-time position with a flexible work schedule, as required by the Centre.
The AD day-to-day responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Exhibitions – Designs the annual exhibition schedule again in alignment with strategic, artistic, and financial budgeted objectives of the Centre; with a hands-on approach overseeing the curation and installation of exhibitions;
Marketing & Public Relations – Coordinates with the Executive Director the development and implementation of the annual Marketing Plan and budget;
Administration – Coordinates with the Executive Director to develop the annual programming and exhibition plans and budgets; researches opportunities for funding and assisting with fundraising initiatives and grant submissions; tracks and reports on program and exhibition results.
- A Degree in Fine Art, Art History, Curatorial Studies or an equivalent degree in a related field (or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience);
- Minimum of three years of curatorial experience;
- Advanced knowledge of contemporary art and visual culture, and thorough grounding in contemporary discourse around curatorial and exhibition practices;
- Strong familiarity with the New Brunswick artists’ community, or the willingness to develop such;
- Demonstrated capacity to think creatively, analytically and conceptually;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and excellent working relationships with artists, instructors, and patrons; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups and promote our values around safety, inclusion, and respect;
- Ability to be effective under pressure and handle multitasking and competing priorities;
- Experience creating effective marketing, advertising, and public relations programs, and activities; and
- Proven planning and organizational skills.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter indicating your interest and relevant experience to Catherine Hamilton, President, Board of Directors of Sunbury Shores Arts and Nature Centre at Board@sunburyshores.org.
SSANC welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, and is committed to a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation.
Please Note: While we invite applications from all interested and qualified candidates, we are unable to follow up with every applicant.